The North Bay & District Chamber of Commerce is involved in a range of advocacy efforts with a provincial, national and municipal reach, including:
- Participation in the Ontario Chamber of Commerce’s Economic Leadership Series Session. A focus group session for the Mining industry took place in North Bay in November of 2105, resulting in the report Digging Deeper
- The Ontario Chamber of Commerce has also provided the 2016 Ontario Economic Update document. Ontario’s economic performance is not shared equally in all regions in the province due to differences in their economic makeup or base. External macro factors play an important role not only in Ontario’s economic performance but also in each region to varying degrees. Economic prospects for Ontario are improving aided by positive externals such as a low dollar, faster U.S. growth, and low interest rates.
- Cap and Trade report from the Ontario Chamber of Commerce can be viewed here.
- Ontario Retirement Pension Plan (ORPP). Advocacy efforts are being undertaken in conjunction with the Ontario Chamber of Commerce and major Ontario employers. The Chamber is asking the Ontario Government for greater clarity about the proposed pension plan, so that it does not have a direct, negative impact on jobs and the economy. To see the letter to the province – click here.
- Changes to Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB). Together with the Ontario Chamber of Commerce and over 25 chambers of commerce and boards of trade, the North Bay & District signed a submission outlining 10 recommendations that the WSIB and the Government of Ontario should adopt to mitigate the impact of the proposed reforms to the WSIB. The Ontario Chamber of Commerce (OCC) is concerned that the new rate framework could increase the premium rates paid by employers and, subsequently, the cost of doing business in the province. For the response to WSIB’s preliminary framework – click here.
- The Ontario Chamber of Commerce has a number of other documents that may be of interest. Please visit their site at www.occ.ca
- TransPacific Partnership (TPP) – What Business Needs to know about the TPP from the Canadian Chamber of Commerce.
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce (CCC) report $50 million a day.
- The CCC also has a number of other areas of advocacy such as Tourism, Transportation, Skills & Immigration, CPP reform, Infrastructure, Labour Relations and much more. Visit their website at www.chamber.ca